Electrical Engineer IIIMarch 9, 2023
Manager, Systems EngineeringMay 8, 2023
Electrical Engineer II
Location: Chesterfield, MO
Salary: $95k – $140k depending on experience
- Being a knowledgeable Electrical Engineer, adhering to company, department, and client standards and procedures, and having an intermediate understanding of required electrical, instrumentation, and controls design and deliverables development.
- Following procedures and collaborating to prepare design deliverables that meet project requirements under general supervision of the Chief Electrical Engineer.
- Remaining continually vigilant in finding opportunities to improve quality and efficiency.
- Using data from process, mechanical and structural disciplines, as well as client and vendor information sources to prepare electrical, instrumentation, and controls engineering designs.
- Performing electrical power distribution design, instrumentation and controls design, lighting and grounding design, assisting with short-circuit and arc flash studies (power system analysis), and drafting equipment and instrument/device specifications.
- Directing engineers and designers toward completion of bid and construction document packages and having a working knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit, and applicable electrical design software.
- Having intermediate knowledge of applicable electrical standards and codes (NFPA, IEEE, etc.).
- Proactively communicate and coordinate design work within the department, and with other disciplines, and with external stakeholders such as clients and vendors.
- Act as Lead Electrical on small to medium size multi-discipline projects.
- Assist project manager on major projects.
- Independently manage projects with majority electrical scope.
- Oversee, plan, and coordinate all technical aspects of electrical project work.
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to engineers and designers.
- Maintain a positive attitude and interact confidently and professionally with clients.
- Actively participate and contribute to project, departmental, and inter-departmental meetings to facilitate successful completion of projects to meet customer expectations and advance the technical capabilities of the department.
- Define, interpret, and track assigned project budgets, schedules, and scopes.
- Understand and apply concerns of safety, maintenance, accessibility, constructability, and coordination. Participate and contribute to project SMACCTM reviews.
- Identify, communicate, and explore solutions to conflicts and clashes.
- Learn and evaluate new design software (as assigned) as well as develop company use of current design software.
- Conduct site visits for project meetings, evaluation of existing installations, and participation in project checkout/startup/commissioning.
- Direct preparation of bid and construction document packages.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines.
- Direct, select, and understand design criteria of electrical power, instrumentation, and controls for a wide range of projects.
- Perform conceptual, preliminary, and detailed development of electrical, instrumentation, and control system designs.
- Issue and record drawing submittals and revisions, and Requests for Information.
- Check electrical calculations and construction documents prepared by yourself or others for errors, omissions, and adherence to company and client standards.
- Contribute to the development of electrical drafting and design standards and new production methods to improve the company’s best practices, efficiency, and consistency.
- Have an intermediate knowledge of electrical, instrumentation, and controls equipment and the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Prepare specifications and bid packages of electrical, instrumentation, and controls equipment, analyze bids, make procurement recommendations, and perform review of submitted shop drawings.
- Design MV and LV power distribution, lighting, and grounding systems.
- Perform design of control systems including PLC/DCS cabinets, schematics, and wiring diagrams.
- Demonstrate knowledge of PLC programming fundamentals.
- Have proficiency in the use of Revit, AutoCAD, MS Office Suite, and SKM PowerTools.
- Possess basic knowledge of basic process and mechanical equipment employed in the cement, lime, and the mining and related minerals processing industries, as well as their suppliers and manufacturer’s.
- Review and support specification and bid package development of basic process and mechanical equipment, and perform review of submitted shop drawings.
- Continuously update and expand knowledge of the electrical field as well as knowledge of client processes and facilities.
- Evaluate vendor proposals and submittals for alignment with project specifications and completeness of information needs.
- Evaluate contractor proposals for alignment with project Request for Proposal.
- Evaluate contractor submittals for compliance with project specifications and drawings.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in electrical engineering with heavy industrial experience preferred.
- Licensed Professional Engineer required.
- Strong electrical engineering experience with a broad range of industrial project types.
- Excellent communication skills with an understanding of teamwork and the requisite ability to coordinate work with internal and external project stakeholders.
- Strong organization skills to effectively manage time and resources in the most efficient manner. Ability to manage and directly contribute to multiple projects and adapt to changing scope and deadlines. Diligent taking of notes during project discussions. Efficient and organized email communications.
- Commitment to maintaining the company’s professional image and reputation with timely, error free, accurate deliverables, which meet or exceed clients’ expectations